EARLY LEARNING CAN ACTIONABLE OUTCOMES
Most recent meeting date: August 7, 2018
Participants: Eileen Sherlock, Linda Harbottle, Kate Haynes, Michelle Novelli, Sadie Jensen, Peter Van Wyck, Rebecca Cirzan, Paula Stefani, Renee Henry, Renee Fauset, Virginia Watahomigie, Diana Cudeii, Bonn Baudelaire, Tammy Lee, Pamela Powell, Paul Kulpinski.
- The CAN elected to rename itself from Kindergarten Readiness to Early Learning to reflect the networks adoption of early grade literacy in language and mathematics from ages 0-8 as a primary outcome of our work.
- P Kulpinski will create a draft of a new CAN charter and Theory of Change to reflect this change removing the emphasis on “readiness”. View the Early Learning CAN Charter DRAFT
- P Powell will refine the review of literature she and her team conducted to include information on resiliency in early childhood.
ACTIONS CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS
- KDI implementation (FUSD, Mountain School, PEAK School)
- Data analysis of existing Flagstaff area pre-school programs/services (LAUNCH Data Team)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Defining our consistent message for coordinating the delivery of parenting, child development and literacy information.
- Kindergarten registration parent survey data report
- KDI Implementation Update (December 2018)
QUESTIONS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
- What literacy resources currently exist in the Flagstaff area?
- What awareness/use of those resources is present for families with children 0-8 years?
- Could Flagstaff become a place for citywide, high-quality, free preschool?
- How are the pockets of poverty in Flagstaff impacting access to high-quality learning experiences?
- Can improving resiliency in children improve literacy?
- Are ACES in early years more significant than in later years?