Literacy Resource Survey
Community Literacy Resource Survey Reveals Opportunities for Improved Awareness
FLAGSTAFF – March 15, 2019
A survey conducted by LAUNCH Flagstaff in collaboration with the Flagstaff Unified School District revealed that out of 25 Flagstaff area literacy programs few were recognized or used by parents of kindergarten aged children.
The sampling of 63 parents of children registering for kindergarten in FUSD for fall 2019 revealed that out of 25 programs, only six were recognized by 50% or more of those families. When asked if they had used any of the programs in the past six-months, only seven of the programs were used by 10% or more of the families surveyed.
One positive data point showed that of the six programs recognized by the majority of families, five were used by more than 10% of the families in the past six-months.
This indicates that as program awareness increases, utilization rises with it.
The 25 literacy programs identified on the survey are:
- AZ’s Children Association: Parenting Education Program
- Bookman’s Kids Club
- Bookman’s Storytime
- Coconino Community College: GED Classes
- Coconino County: Healthy Families
- Coconino County: Health Start
- Little Free Library Project
- Flagstaff Family Food Center: Reading Room
- Flagstaff Public Library
- Flagstaff Public Library: after school clubs
- Flagstaff Public Library: PALS mobile
- Flagstaff Public Library: Play and Learn
- Flagstaff Public Library: Storytime
- Flagstaff Public Library: Summer Reading Challenge
- FUSD: F.A.C.T.S. Program
- FUSD: Family Resource Center
- The Literacy Center
- Museum of Northern Arizona: Indigenous Language Camp
- NAU: America Reads
- NAU: Speech and Hearing Clinic
- Parenting Arizona: 123 Parenting Program
- Parenting Arizona: Parents as Teachers Program
- Reach Out and Read
- Therapy Pets of Northern Arizona: PAWS to Read
- UWNA: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
The results of the LAUNCH Flagstaff survey mirror a similar awareness and use survey conducted in 2014 by the Coconino County Superintendent of Schools and United Way of Northern Arizona.